Friday 13 December 2013

My Summer Trip to the Island of Malta

I've recently come back from my week away in the Sun and Sand and am happy to note that I'm not feeling too depressed to be back in the cold and rain of London. I gave my best efforts to get a tan and have come back looking like an Oompa Loompa (entirely my fault I know) and with a graze on the top of my nose. For those of you who don't know me personally, I am in fact, half Maltese. And for those of you who don't know what or where Malta is (yes, that is a common question I get asked) it is a small island in the Mediterranean that broke off Italy hundreds of years ago. It is a very small island, that takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes to get from one side to the other. The people there speak Maltese, Italian and English and their lifestyle is very similar to that in Italy. They are very family orientated and enjoy spending time by the Sea, eating the delicious food and spending time with friends and family. We are also not the tallest of folk, unfortunate for the Maltese men, but at least we know how to cook well and have a good time.
My holiday was rather last minute. The prospect of not having any holiday this summer really depressed me for the first 2 months of the Summer break. Although I had worked hard and earned some money, all of my friends were back home with family in different countries or travelling the world with friends. However, my mum found some flights for my housemate (also our family friend) and I all to take for 1 week at the end of August. Aside from the horror of my housemate losing her passport the day before our flight, I'd say things went pretty smoothly.
My parents bought an apartment there around 6 years ago but we let it out as much as we can and so we are never able to stay in it. Fortunately, this gap gave us an opportunity to stay in it and make the most of our escape! Here is a little tour of my holiday.
Malta Header
 The View from our Apartment.
Malta2
Malta3


Malta4

Malta5
                             A Jazz Cafe where my Uncle was playing. He is at the back on the drums.
Malta6


Malta7


Malta8


Malta9

Malta10
The Cathedrals are always decorated so beautifully for the Festas which are the religious festivals every few weeks.Malta11
Our Trip to the Blue LagoonMalta14


Malta15

Malta18
Malta19


Malta21

Malta20

Malta25
The traditional Maltese Pastizzi. You can buy these at the pastry shops at the side of the road for 30c each.
They are pastry filled with ricotta cheese and the most to-die-for pastries!
Malta26
The Hotspot for Nightlife near the shopping mall and cinema. This was before it got busy.
Malta28


Malta27
I hope you all had a lovely summer and wish you the best with the new year ahead! xx